This is the personal webpage, blog, and open notebook of William DeMeo.
He holds a BA in Economics from the University of Virginia, a Master of Science in Mathematics from the Courant Institute of New York University, and a PhD in mathematics from the University of Hawaii, with a specialty in Universal Algebra and Lattice Theory (advisor: Ralph Freese).
William has held academic appointments at a number of research universities, including:
- Charles University in Prague (with Libor Barto, 2019--2021)
- University of Colorado, Boulder (with Peter Mayr, 2017--2019)
- University of Hawaii (with Ralph Freese, 2016--2017)
- Iowa State University (with Cliff Bergman, 2014--2016)
- University of South Carolina (with George McNulty, 2012--2014)
William's primary research areas are the following:
- universal algebra
- foundations of mathematics
- formalization and verification of mathematics in dependent type theory
- computer-aided and automated mathematical proof
- artificial intelligence and machine learning
- functional programming
- algebraic approaches to algorithmic complexity